• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

ADSB reliability and accuracy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanjiv

PA28-236
Reaction score
Last weekend (Saturday) we made round trip from N14 to KOWD. Weather was low ceilings about 3000’ around NY and some snow flurries early morning so we departed around noon. Decided to stay low and pass through Hudson corridor exclusion (first time for me).

On preflight planning, ForeFlight and FLYQ both showed a Stadium TFR just south of KOWD. But once airborne my ADSB as well as XM failed to show the same TFR on my panel IFD540 (XM) and Garmin796 (adsb via gdl39). Boston approach confirmed there was active TFR so we avoided it based on what we planned earlier and asked for vectors. Still trying to understand what could make it happen? Adsb and XM data issue while we could see the same on ground over regular data network. Adsb data was fresh in panel and XM showed age of data 1-3 min old for TFR.

Here are some pics of NYC at 1200’ through Hudson.
IMG_4356.jpg
IMG_4357.jpg
IMG_4358.jpg
IMG_4359.jpg
IMG_4360.jpg

While we waited at KOWD, we asked for tour of the tower and the person on duty was very friendly and helpful.
IMG_4361.jpg
IMG_4355.jpg

Now the off topic question.

While inbound, the controller asked me to call a 2 mile left base. This has always confused me and make me wonder whether I need to be on base when my GPS says 2 miles from airport or I need to plan a base which would put me on a 2 mile final.

Asked the controller in person and all he said was “either or is fine”. But what does it actually mean?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back