• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Adding Electric Start to My Powertow 40EZ

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I decided that I wanted to add an electric start capability to my Powertow 40EZ. I have wanted to do this for a long time but hesitated because I expected cost to be excessive. An electric start system is a $500 option when purchasing a new Powertow but I purchased mine used so I did not have that option. I wanted to keep the project under $200.

The first step is to get the model information and date code on your engine. My Powertow had a Briggs and Stratton 6 horsepower engine and there seems to be a variety of engines used to make the Powertow.

Next, download the parts manual for your engine. You may need to ask Briggs and Stratton to send you a parts manual if yours is not available for download.

Selection of Parts. I decided that I would not need a solenoid switch since amperage requirements for a Briggs and Stratton starter will be much lower than a car or an airplane. Instead, I used 10-gauge wiring with a push button starter switch capable of handling high amperage. I also decided that I would not need an alternator since I use the tug for only short periods—too short to recharge the battery. Nor would I need LED lighting. Here is my parts list:

· Briggs and Stratton starter (new one for $79 through EBay),
· Briggs and Stratton flywheel with a starter gears (used one on EBay for $29),
· A 12v 10 amp hour SLA battery 190 CCA (about $40 through a local battery supplier),
· A trickle charger/ maintainer to keep the battery charged with pigtail connector and fuse (12-volt 1-amp trickle charge/ maintainer $17 through Amazon),
· A starter button (50 amp rated for $10 through Amazon), and
· Wiring (three feet-10 gauge SAE quick connect wiring), fuse (10 gauge with 40 amp automobile fuse which I changed to 15 amp fuse), and a wiring clamp (all for about $10).

Installation. To do the installation, you will need to remove the top plastic cover (two Phillips head screws), remove the fuel tank, and remove the metal engine shield. My starter required two bolts for mounting and the bolts were already on the engine. Next, you will have to remove the existing flywheel. I had to use my impact wrench to remove the flywheel bolt. To remove the flywheel from the shaft, you will either to gently knock it off with a hammer or use the Briggs and Stratton flywheel puller (about $8).

Wiring is not that complicated. The starter had an SAE quick connect connector and I bought the wiring with the same connector so you just have to plug it into the starter. The black wire attaches to the negative sides of the battery and the red one attached to one side of the switch. I connected the other switch terminal to the fuse wire and the other end of the fuse wire to the positive side of the battery. I also connected the pigtail for the charger to the battery.

I was not successful in finding a battery box that would fit on the Powertow so I attached the battery with some double-sided tape. I am pleased with the results.

Latest posts

Back