• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

A PSA on main landing gear torque links

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I recently sold my 160 and acquired a 235. During a (very light, at my request) pre-purchase, the mechanic made a comment about the condition of the main landing gear torque links, and wondered if they’d been inspected in this century. I didn’t have him do a log book review, as I chose to take care of that myself.

When I went digging for the most recent inspection for AD 72-08-06 ( this plane was on Adlog previously, so I had to familiarize myself with their system for AD tracking), I found the sign-off page in the section for “permanently complied” ADs.

A mechanic in 1998 signed this AD off as not applicable by part number. Being familiar with the design of the AD / non-AD torque links, I knew this couldn’t be right (I have the oval cross-section links). Conducting some research around the net, I learned that a number of mechanics have fallen into this trap, going by the numbers stamped into the side of the links (which is a casting number). Piper addressed this in an updated version of SB1199, and stated the only reliable way to determine which links you have is by their shape and design (oval cross-section vs. rectangular, corrugated cross-section).

As I looked around for availability of new links (in case my mine are not serviceable), I was disturbed to find that a number of eBay auctions, as well as some salvage yards, have the oval-section links advertised as the “new” style part number (78033). I wonder how many people have purchased these and figured they were now good to terminate that AD.

Even a bit more disturbing (in my case),is that none of the IAs who performed annuals on this bird have caught that it had old-style links, and questioned the AD compliance. That’s quite a few inspections (and hours) since 1998.

If you’re not already familiar with the inspection status of your oval-section torque links, it might be good to visit your logs and make sure some mechanic hasn’t done the same (signed it off when it shouldn’t have been). While this inspection is a bit onerous (strip, inspect, prime, and paint), it’s only every 500 hours. Of course, if you wish to terminate it, that’s possible too (with the new style, albeit fairly expensive links).

https://s3.amazonaws.com/pipercrm/Solution/16067/SB 1199.pdf

Latest posts

Back