• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

63 PA-28 235 - Throttle stuck when cold...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenjr

Reaction score
I just bought into a 63 Cherokee 235 and the one thing I noticed is that the throttle will literally not push in until the engine is warm and then slowly but surely it will start moving. Once the engine is warm, it's no problem but on a cold start you seriously couldn't lean in on it as hard as you can without the thing just breaking off. Luckily we hangar it and with 4 primes she starts right up and idles fine...but you have to sit there for a few minutes until she warms up to get enough movement on the throttle where you actually feel comfortable getting off the brakes.

My CFI is a A&P with a lot of experience working on Piper's and he was scratching his head on this one. I don't know much about how the throttle is linked up to the carb, but I do all my own work on an 87 Porsche and it has a mechanical throttle link and can't for the life of me figure out why a throttle would be so affected by the engine not running for a while.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back