• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

1965 PA28-160 performance report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prototypemech

Reaction score
Hello all,
I wanted to quantify my efforts as a fix and polish my Cherokee. Things like "SPEED MODS" always pop up in the threads but there is never any written proof that these speed mods actually do anything besides make your wallet lighter.
Using a scientific approach, I'm going to attempt to record modifications and how they affect my aircraft.
My 3 testing points are:
Climb from 5000FT PA to 6000FT PA
Top speed a 6000FT PA
Glide from 6000FT PA to 5000FT PA

Below you'll find my baseline results. You'll notice my RPM's are already over redline and I'll have to repitch the prop and do another report.
One of the first mods I'm going to quantify is to tape over all the seams between the fairings and the airframe, and apply gap tape to the ailerons and stabilator.

Ive also attached a blank performance evaluation report and I encourage anyone who wants to play with science to record and post some numbers of their own. It would be nice to have a data base of aircraft performance numbers and be able to track the usefulness of modifications.

Attachments

• 1965 PA28 performance document baseline.pdf
    223.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 1965 PA28 performance document blank.docx
    18.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back