• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

14 CFR 43.3 (d). Direct Supervision

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM.

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
In the beginning of the year I responded to a thread with a statement to attempt official clarification of what direct supervision in 14 CFR 43.3 was.

14 CFR 43.3
(d) A person working under the supervision of a holder of a mechanic or repairman certificate may perform the maintenance, preventative maintenance, and alterations that his supervisor is authorized to perform, if the supervisor personally observes the work being done to the extent necessary to ensure that it is being done properly and if the supervisor is readily available, in person, for consultation.

I spoke with West Chicago FSDO Maintenance Safety Inspector D. Hudson. Mr. Hudson contacted me later in the week and stated the (unofficial) office opinion. "Readily available in person directly supervising" means exactly what it says." Regardless of extent necessary it is not believed the mechanic can be on the other side of the airport or at home eating dinner available solely by cell phone, cell phone is not "in person". Now remember this is the local opinion, not law.

In January I submitted a request for a legal interpretation which includes three direct supervision maintenance scenarios along with a request of the definition of "extent necessary". The wheels are slow but they are still turning, as promised.

Not much sense in rehashing personal opinions as the attorney's response will be the final word.

Last edited:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back