• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PA32 Electric Fuel Pump Failure - twice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all - new to the forum and a new owner of a 2003 Piper 6XT.

I flew the plane home from Florida after the purchase - and after landing to refuel near Panama City - during the starting process - the electric fuel pump came on for a few seconds then the circuit breaker popped. Reset it, and this time the pump went on for 2-3 seconds before the circuit breaker popped again. Finally, the second you would hit the pump - the circuit breaker popped. Hard to say how old the fuel pump was - but the mechanic thought it was probably about due for an new one given a look at the old one.

We bought a new fuel pump and had it installed. Flew a few legs back home to Colorado and no issues at all.

They my partner flew the plane (he was with me the first time we had this issue) and the exact same thing happened with the new pump. His first leg was uneventful - landed and waited for some weather, then began the starting procedure. Pump ran for about 5 seconds before the CB popped. This time my partner waited 15 minutes before resetting, thinking that maybe it had to do with the fact that the plane had been flying. Pump came on for 2-3 seconds, CB popped. Then the CB would pop immediately after hitting the switch. Total flying hours on the new pump was probably less than 10 hours - mostly cross country. We are good about turning the pump off upon cruise/climb so likely only on for 45 mins total.

I did not find other postings about this so thought i would give this a try. Any ideas? Anyone have this issue? I'd rather not buy another $2K pump if there is another issue.

Latest posts

Back