• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Bose A20 Background Squeal Noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For the last six months my three-year-old Bose A20 headphones with plane powered LEMO jacks have developed a background chattering squeal that to me sounded like radio interference. When powering up, the noise reduction comes on and they are quite for about ten seconds or so and then the noise begins. I’m usually on my way somewhere and haven’t really stopped to troubleshoot because other than being annoying they work fine. A second pair I use for the right seat work fine but I didn’t want to blue tooth them to my phone which I use to call for clearances.
I’m going in for annual this week so I started the troubleshooting, swapping headphones around… I found that the headphones made the noise plugged in or not. I was relieved to find the plane wiring was not the problem and decided I needed to send them in for service. I went to the Bose website and ran through their checklist which was pretty much what I already did. When it said to install new batteries, I was skeptical as the headphones are powered by the plane and seem to work on the current Energizer AAs, not lithium. To be thorough, I swapped in a new pair of Duracells and the background noise was gone. Simple fix!
A web search showed issues with AA lithiums but I couldn’t find much on this so I decided to post if anyone else had this nagging background sound. In hindsight, I should have been more proactive a while back.

Latest posts

Back