• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Your opinion on this 140?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saint Alofus

Reaction score
Hey Gang,

Found a Cherokee today that I was interested in buying. I went out and looked at it in person today with my wife and I talked with the owner... very nice guy and seemed genuine about selling his plane.

Only thing I am worried about is how long ago the engine has been overhauled... I have digital logs and have been combing through them and even talked with the owner about them. Looks like the plane has not had a major overhaul since February of 1993 and it currently has 872 hours on it. He used this plane to get his PPL and is now looking for something faster due to family circumstances and people moving around the country. He wants to buy a Bo!

For some perspective.. plane has flown approximately 262 hours since 2009 (100 of those hours being him since February of 2020)

Owner mentioned no metal found in filter when they had the oil change done back in October.. checked the logs and it confirms that statement along with no metal found in previous 2 oil changes as well from the same IA (I am assuming since he bought the plane)... Compressions all in the 70s..

The reason why I am considering this plane is because of its nice price point and the avionics he has in it + the new interior.... the GNX 375 and dual G5s in particular is pretty nice. (Recently installed in June of this year.. seemed like he did not have any attention of selling this plane.. but was bit by the HP + Complex Aircraft bug)

Including some photos for reference to what I am looking at.. What are your thoughts?
**Annual due February 2021 along with the Wing Spar AD... current owner said if I were really interested and serious, he would get it all done by his local mechanic that he trusts. At this point, he understands if I want to get someone else to do pre-buy/annual since he has a good relationship with his current IA that does the work on the aircraft. He understands that the aircraft has not had its major overhaul since 93' but his IA says this is the cleanest 140 he has seen. 1 Year ago when he bought the plane, he trusted these same guys to do the prebuy + all of that as well**

Would you consider buying a plane that has flown approximately 32 hours a year since 1993?
Also if you know a reputable IA to do an annual out in the North Texas Area/DFW area let me know!

THIS PLANE TO MY KNOWLEDGE HAS NOT LIVED ON THE COAST IN THE PAST 20 YEARS

THANKS for you opinions + help

RD

Attachments

• Main Strut Cherokee 140.jpg
    Main Strut Cherokee 140.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 104
  • Nose Wheel Strut 140.jpg
    Nose Wheel Strut 140.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 107
  • Other Main Gear Strut 140.jpg
    Other Main Gear Strut 140.jpg