• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

XM vs ADS-B weather, my experience.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mshafer

Reaction score
I have an Aspen MFD-PFD-PFD setup with XM weather and a dashboard Stratus displaying ADS-B on Foreflight. I have about 150 hours or so, mainly cross country running both products.

I don't use ADS-B weather anymore. XM weather is consistently more up to date data, the Nexrad weather is higher resolution and I can get XM weather on the ground.

I have begged Foreflight to offer XM in a less cumbersome manner using the new dashboard receiver but they are interested in pushing the Stratus product and ADS-B. The support guy stated there is nothing wrong with the ADS-B but admitted it was network slowness causing the old data issue.

I have not spent much time documenting the differences but the Radar paints and current airport weather is at least 15 minutes behind XM, flying IMC cross country in Thunderstorm and icing country, well, my safety is worth the XM subscription. Perhaps the Contractor will fix this in ADS-B but for now, I only use the Stratus for GPS on Foreflight.

Take it or leave it......

Latest posts

Back