• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

X-Country advice needed!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptTH

Reaction score
Well after all that search and heartache and stress I've found the original plane I wanted in the first place.
Seller accepted the offer and planning started.
I am really excited for 2 reasons.
1) I've finally found what I was originally looking for: a 1979 Tomahawk.
2) She is in FL and I am in CA, so a loooong and adventurous x-country flight awaiting me within the next 3 weeks.

If anyone of you ever did a similar route what will be your advice?

Currently my intentions are as follows:

- I'll leave Tampa area and follow the coastal route mostly towards Tallahassee... Then head towards S of DFW somewhere Waco/TX , Roswell/NM, S of Phoenix area, Blythe/CA, Bakersfield/CA and Home at KLSN.

- I did not choose the specific spots but my intention is to fly around 600-700 mile legs each day when possible with two 3 to 4 hr legs and then spend the night and continue. I am NOT in a time crunch to head back. I can spend a week or longer if necessary on the route. So shortest route is not my goal. I am looking low level VFR flight so I don't have to fly above 10,000 over the mountains.

- I don't know how to gather detailed information for such a route planning? I mean yeah Foreflight is great but it is too cumbersome to go thru hundreds of small airports to find out which one has mechanics, which one has a close by Best Western etc. which one is good for a mid day fueling stop and also have a nice restaurant to get lunch etc. I am an AOPA member but don't know if they have such a service for their members to plan a trip?
I guess I'll find out Monday morning.

Oh well this should be fun.
Hopefully.
Fingers crossed!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back