• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

WTS: KX-170B

ERE99

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Newbie member here but I`ve been lurking and reading a lot. You guys are a wealth of info for a "new to me" `65 Cherokee 160/180 owner....

I just bought a MX-170B from a member here to replace my King kx-170b......anyone interested in my old radio for $475 shipped and insured to the lower 48? Works great, I just wanted a digital flip-flop in the panel(dual kx-155`s in the rentals I used spoiled me) Located at NC27 if anyone wants to pick it up in person.....best contact is [email protected].....willing to trade it and some cash towards another mx-170 if anyone has an extra

yellow sticker on the back says it was checked n calibrated 11/4/98 by Abbas Avionics, in Aiken, SC...logbook shows that to be about 200hrs ago. Was attached to a glideslope..

pic of it installed..

bartmc

Reaction score
Not trying to bust your balls on price. Buying used "as is" avionics from an individual is a risky endeavor for a buyer. I pulled a KX-170B that I was 101% sure was working perfect, I offered to have my avionics guy go through it at cost before I shipped it to the buyer, he took me up on the offer and it turned out that the NAV was out all the way around. I had flown behind it, VFR for 2 years and was convinced it was perfect. I would just center the needle and keep it there, no IFR stuff with it but it always took me to the airport. $400 is about right for a used one with an 8130 and a guarantee of some sort. I wouldn't touch a used KX170B at that price that hasn't been bench tested in 14 years. A shop ought to charge you 50-100 bucks for a bench check and to issue an 8130. You'll likely sell it fast with fresh paperwork. Not saying your price is out of line, but that paperwork might be more valuable than you think, otherwise, it's a $350 gamble for the buyer, and he'd probably want to get the paperwork before he installed it too.

ERE99

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I take it that you'll not be purchasing this item?

Leigh

Reaction score
The only used avionics I've bought came from a tech I know who promised to stand behind it (hopefully not too far behind!) with sort guarantee. Selling old items such as your radio might best be done on eBay which being an auction will also disclose what the market price is. I doubt you'll get your price but who knows. Frankly I think you might best put it on the shelf in case you need to get your MX serviced as you can just plug it in till the MX is back.

Anyone want to buy a used Loran?

bartmc

Reaction score
Leigh said:
The only used avionics I've bought came from a tech I know who promised to stand behind it (hopefully not too far behind!) with sort guarantee. Selling old items such as your radio might best be done on eBay which being an auction will also disclose what the market price is. I doubt you'll get your price but who knows. Frankly I think you might best put it on the shelf in case you need to get your MX serviced as you can just plug it in till the MX is back.

Used Loran's go for about $20-$30 on eBay.

bartmc

Reaction score
ERE99 said:
I take it that you'll not be purchasing this item?
No, the 170B is a fine radio, not many frills but many a successful flight has been made behind one. From your post, I thought you were a new owner and I was giving you my (unsolicited) experience when I was in a similar situation as you and just trying to suggest that you have a shop issue an 8130 for it and it'll likely sell tomorrow at your price. If it works like you say it does, it's worth what you're asking and maybe some more to go with it. Anything I buy without an 8130, I assume it's going to need an overhaul, as do others and I think that piece of paper is likely worth about $300. FWIW I wound up selling mine without paperwork for 90 bucks to a guy in Austria.

Avionics-tech

Avionics Advisor
Reaction score
Leigh said:

I think that sums it up.

Problem here is the value of the radio approaches the cost of the 8130/Form one.

Fact is shops may not certify a KX170/175 series radio if the transmit frequency tolerance is out. The radios are synthesized and their accuracy depends on 2 crystals that eventually go out of tolerance. The crystals are not available anymore. The radio may seem to work but it may be transmitting off frequency (FCC requirements). As Bart said they are a fine radio but only in their days. Age takes it's toll

A brand new KX170B in it's day far exceeds the quality of the MX170. Put it on ebay with no reserve. You will have no guilt and if it does work for the buyer you will make someone very happy.

Used loran? No comment.

Leigh

Reaction score
I was being facitious about the loran. I figure it's best use in aviation might be as a wheel chock.

Agreed that the KX-170 was a very good radio but do dispute that it ever was any better than the MX-170 and the MX has features that it doesn't. Back in the day of simpler air traffic control there was less need for flip-flop tuning, memory tuning, etc and even then I do recall having to spin the knobs a lot at times. I'll take the MX any day.

Anyone else had experience with the KX-145?

Jeff K

Reaction score
Leigh said:
Frankly I think you might best put it on the shelf in case you need to get your MX serviced as you can just plug it in till the MX is back.
That is what I would do. As long as you have a tray, an owner can swap radios both legally and practically.