• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

WTB used Garmin 496

RandyH

Reaction score
Want to buy a used Gramin 496 or similar hand held/gizmo mount Gps.

Any help would be appreciated

bartmc

Reaction score
I personally prefer the Aera line over their x96 counterparts.

I had an Aera 500, it was stolen, no complaints with the unit at all as far as functionality. My one complaint that for VFR use I wouldn't even think about updating the database due to it costing a small fortune.

I replaced it with a Anywhere Map Quadra. It was on a black friday sale and I scooped it up with lifetime updates and sectional maps for about 300 less than the bottom end of the Aera line. No regrests with the purchase and I put a write up about it on this forum here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=659&p=5853 I've had a few issues with it since (charger quit, it likes to quit displaying terrain data for no reason) and probably wouldn't purchase it again.

A lot of people rave about the iFly it uses sectionals which I have found to be next to useless on such a small form factor and it doesn't have terrain and it must run off the planes electrical system or a battery pack that is connected via a cord, it looks like a fine piece of equipment, just not for me it is about the "cheapest" though.

The AV8ORs by B/K i don't know much about or the flight cheetah stuff ether.

If I had to do it over again, after the theft. I'd probably buy an Aera with Wx or go the iPad route, people have been raving that Foreflight on the iPad. I have a hole where my ADF was and Im seriously considering selling my Quadra and installing an Air Gizmo (even though I don't like how they look in a panel) with an Aera in it.

jruhnke

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'm quite happy with my iFly. Picked it up used for ~$300...try touching a Garmin for that price. Chart update subscription is $69/yr for VFR only and $89/yr if you want IFR charts, too...try touching updates on a Garmin for that price. Doesn't currently have georeferenced approach plates or airport diagrams, but that's coming in the next software release (they're demoing at OSH). The iFly org is a small outfit, but they're incredible responsive to questions/suggestions and have done a great job of continuously improving the software. ADS-B weather is also coming soon...that saves the cost of an XM subscription, but does require a substantial (currently ~$1K) initial outlay for the ADS-B receiver.

You can visit their website for the sales pitch (http://ifly.adventurepilot.com/HOME.aspx), but it does have some cons that may be a dealbreaker for some:
- No built-in battery
- Hardware platform, while capable, is about 3 yrs old. Resolution is adequate but not fantastic. Brightness in full sun is adequate but not fantastic. Touchscreen is adequate but not fantastic.
- Chart and weather updates require downloading files to a USB thumbdrive, then plugging the thumbdrive into the iFly. Adequate, but not as fantastic as a wireless solution. Also means TFRs and METARs are only as fresh as the last time you plugged in a USB drive.
- No terrain database. (Not too big a deal for me in the flatlands.)

The iFly probably isn't for everyone, but I find it a great little device, especially for the money.

PilotPete

Reaction score
Randy,

I have a 495 for sale - not sure if that will do the trick for you.
See my posting on this forum.

Pete

RandyH

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help guys, and Pete, thanks for the offer. I did buy a 496 just this week.

Latest posts