• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Wtb stratus 2, ipad mini 4 yoke mount

N677ap

Reaction score
I just got my ppl and want to get foreflight in my plane. Anyone have a stratus 2, for a good price, they are thinking of selling? Also, looking for a yoke mount for an ipad mini 4.

arkvet

Reaction score
A used stratus 2 has been a rare thing to see for sale but I think you'll see more in the future due to what appears to be a growing integration effort of the major avionics / software companies.

As permanent panel mount wireless tablet connectivity options become more commonplace portables like the stratus 2 will be seen more on the used market for sure.

I have a stratus 2 and use it every flight alongside my 530W. I paid full retail for it and although to not cheap I think it's worth what you get.

If you want a significantly cheaper alternative (albeit you may sacrifice some things) you can look at the bad elf pro which is a waas gps that will Bluetooth with the iPad and give awesome God positioning. Downside is no wx or traffic.

There are also some threads regarding a home built stratus (stratux?) for a fraction of the cost. I don't think they're building a AHRS (attitude) version though.

The bottom line is you can get foreflight in the cockpit without having to buy a stratus 2 if you're willing to sacrifice some of the more advanced features. The #1 use for foreflight is kind of taken for granted these days and it's simply situational awareness through the charts. Wx, traffic, AHRS, are icing on the cake. A bad elf would get you the cake (non iced) for a little over $100.

Enjoy the PPL, congrats and good luck!

N677ap

Reaction score
My main desire is weather, airport diagrams, TFRs, and planning. Stratux would work, but I cant seem to find where to buy a dual antenna case for a reasonable price. One thing I fear is Foreflight may shut out the Stratux, then I'm back where I am now. I'd rather buy a used Stratus 2 for peace of mind.

skatterbean

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A used stratus 2 has been a rare thing to see for sale but I think you'll see more in the future due to what appears to be a growing integration effort of the major avionics / software companies.
This is true. I just got a FlightStream installed which is great as a primary AHRS, however I'm keeping my Stratus as a back up. Sorry I can't help you out. I see a couple going on Ebay right now though.

Good luck!

Reaction score
I installed flight stream also and built cheap Stratux for fun while I had stratus2. Then my stratus2 developed a problem of intermittent charging as the sub port had come lose on the board. I tried to solder it couple of times but unsuccessful as its surface mounted and week spot. So I sent my stratus2 to sporty to fix it. Sporty have max $175 for repairs which was the cost of home built Stratux! But to my surprise they just sent me back a latest stratus 2S 😀 which made it worth $175.

But if all you need is adsb in and out then just home build a stratux and it works pretty good for weather and traffic. AHARS not so much.

N677ap

Reaction score
I installed flight stream also and built cheap Stratux for fun while I had stratus2. Then my stratus2 developed a problem of intermittent charging as the sub port had come lose on the board. I tried to solder it couple of times but unsuccessful as its surface mounted and week spot. So I sent my stratus2 to sporty to fix it. Sporty have max $175 for repairs which was the cost of home built Stratux! But to my surprise they just sent me back a latest stratus 2S 😀 which made it worth $175.

But if all you need is adsb in and out then just home build a stratux and it works pretty good for weather and traffic. AHARS not so much.
I prefer to go with a Stratus. But, appears I will have to wait, unless I can snag one at a good price. My Aspen EDF1000 is giving me issues, so need to get that squared away first. Big $$$ for that.

Latest posts