• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

WTB oil cooler winterization plate

nrua

Reaction score
Yes I know, it's a small thing - I'd rather not spend the $150 or so they want for it. Anyone have an extra?

Charley

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I know, it's a small thing - I'd rather not spend the $150 or so they want for it. Anyone have an extra?

For what model and serial number aircraft?

Last time we saw such a request I sketched a winterization plate out on paper and another owner fabricated one from my drawing.

A piece of aluminum sheet, drill 4 holes, and some common AN hardware.

Some winterization plates are that simple, others not so much.

That's why we need more info on your aircraft.

Last edited:

nrua

Reaction score
Where are you located. In that warrior you won't need one unless you are in extreme cold weather state.

Michigan. Last winter I was taking off with -15F ground temps (but not in this plane). Is that "extreme cold"? :)

Last edited:

nrua

Reaction score
For what model and serial number aircraft?

Last time we saw such a request I sketched a winterization plate out on paper and another owner fabricated one from my drawing.

A piece of aluminum sheet, drill 4 holes, and some common AN hardware.

Some winterization plates are that simple, others not so much.

That's why we need more info on your aircraft.

1974 PA-28-151. See attached excerpts from the parts manual. It appears that there is only one type of winterization plate for all Warriors, part # 35453-00.

Screen Shot 2015-10-12 at 7.42.00 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-10-12 at 7.41.26 AM.jpg

raymos

Reaction score
I use aluminum tape on my 1966 140, which had no winterization plate.

Charley

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
1974 PA-28-151. See attached excerpts from the parts manual. It appears that there is only one type of winterization plate for all Warriors, part # 35453-00.

I see the plate, item 12 in the illustration.

I'd call Wentworth and also browse the Dawson salvage parts website.

My wild guess is maybe $30 or $40 for a used one.

Easy to make if you can borrow one to use as a model / template.

I always say not to discount the value of your time.

If you can get a new one for $150, do it. Then the issue is solved and you can move on to other things.

Reactions: GM.

nrua

Reaction score
I see the plate, item 12 in the illustration.

I'd call Wentworth and also browse the Dawson salvage parts website.

My wild guess is maybe $30 or $40 for a used one.

Easy to make if you can borrow one to use as a model / template.

I always say not to discount the value of your time.

If you can get a new one for $150, do it. Then the issue is solved and you can move on to other things.
Spoke to both already and they don't have it. Also called a number of other ones. It makes sense - they probably only get aircraft with the winterization plate installed in the winter, and it's fall now.

So that's the story of how I ended up making this thread.

FlyCanadianGuy

Reaction score
I bought one for an atrocious price of $350! Didnt realize how expensive it was until after it arrived.

sourdough44

Reaction score
Once you see how it goes it would be simple to make your own, easier with one to fabricate off of. Next time I go out I can get a picture.

I like mine on below 40F or so, averages, since it will vary where you fly.

Last edited:

Latest posts