• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

WTB King Instrument Rating Course

N677ap

Reaction score
I'm fresh off my PPL checkride and want to start working on my instrument rating. Anyone have the King Instrument course they no longer need and looking to unload?

arkvet

Reaction score
I have it and have gotten through a little more than half the videos. They're good and I'm learning, I guess. That being said I kind of got tired of watching them. They're somewhat corny and I just wasn't sure if it was an efficient way to learn.

So I needed a change of pace. Paid for the shepherd air IFR course and have been thoroughly impressed so far.

I did lots of research and what I kept reading over and over (from IFR pilots) was to study to pass the test and go pass the test... Then go finish the flying portion and learn what you really need to know hands on.

Idk if I'm taking the right approach but that's how I'm going at it. Btw I ended up buying the ASA test prep package for pretty cheap too. There's a 3 book package that includes the test prep book, practical standards, and the computer test supplement book. I bought it mainly for the supplement. In the shepherd air software it's nothing but test questions. Every single diagram or illustration is in this book. Those same illustrations are part of the software but you have to click on a link and toggle between the illustration and the question. Having the physical book in front of you makes studying much more efficient and you're also getting practice with the identical book you'll use to take the test.

Those are just some thoughts from another guy in the middle of it.

N677ap

Reaction score
I have it and have gotten through a little more than half the videos. They're good and I'm learning, I guess. That being said I kind of got tired of watching them. They're somewhat corny and I just wasn't sure if it was an efficient way to learn.

So I needed a change of pace. Paid for the shepherd air IFR course and have been thoroughly impressed so far.

I did lots of research and what I kept reading over and over (from IFR pilots) was to study to pass the test and go pass the test... Then go finish the flying portion and learn what you really need to know hands on.

Idk if I'm taking the right approach but that's how I'm going at it. Btw I ended up buying the ASA test prep package for pretty cheap too. There's a 3 book package that includes the test prep book, practical standards, and the computer test supplement book. I bought it mainly for the supplement. In the shepherd air software it's nothing but test questions. Every single diagram or illustration is in this book. Those same illustrations are part of the software but you have to click on a link and toggle between the illustration and the question. Having the physical book in front of you makes studying much more efficient and you're also getting practice with the identical book you'll use to take the test.

Those are just some thoughts from another guy in the middle of it.
This is good to know. I'm really not looking forward to the studying. I just don't have the patience for it and lose interest easily. I had the Sportys PPL course and couldn't stand it. I would up purchasing a month of online ground school from MzeroA.com and it helped me a lot. I haven't looked at their instrument course. Even though the PPL course was good, it is expensive. I'd rather buy a course that I can watch at my leisure, rather than have to hurry though an online course that charges on a monthly basis.

I'll look at the other companies you mentioned. If I happen across a good deal on the King course, I'll probably grab it. I've heard people seem to like it, even though it's corny.

Thanks!

arkvet

Reaction score
I actually did the sportys ppl course too, and like you didn't care for it too much. Tons of wasted time within the videos if you ask me.

daviddancer99

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just started my instrument course. I chose to attend a 3 day crash course from American Flyers to get the written out of the way. I had already purchased the Sporty's instrument course and I enjoyed the videos. I also used the Sporty's for my PPL. I took the PPL after taking the Sporty's course and a few practice exams and did fine.

If you choose to do one of the 3 day crash courses, take my advice and complete another course first and you should be able to take the test on the 3rd day and pass. If you go into the 3 day course from ground zero you stand little chance of passing the first time. I enjoyed the 3 day course as the instructor was very good and taught the concepts not just the answers. He filled in the gaps that I missed from the video course and I was successful in passing the test.

Latest posts