• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

WTB Garmin SL40 COMM and SL70 XPDR

sourdough44

Reaction score
I ended up buying my SL-30 from that large avionics shop in Sarasota, FL. I later went though the local Garmin shop for some reason and he had a new one on the shelf at a slight discount. Someone bought it then changed their mind before it went it.

At least when you buy new you have Garmin behind you for the warranty period. Good luck looking.

jruhnke

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
At least when you buy new you have Garmin behind you for the warranty period.
Of course, the SL-30 and SL-40 models have been discontinued, so new is not an option.

If your avionics shop doesn't know how to find one, then Google is your friend. I'd put a standing search on eBay so it'll send you an email when new listings show up, and then keep an eye on other sources like controller.com, Trade-a-Plane, etc.

A quick Google search finds these items:
http://hangarswap.com/apollo-garmin-sl40-comm-radio?language=en&currency=USD&gclid=CjwKEAiAp_WyBRD37bGB_ZO9qAYSJAA72IkgW5jKvLeZE-08osZMtceljLHjJr5a9k9U8Oen8huoaxoCY-jw_wcB
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Apollo-SL70-digital-transponder-removed-for-panel-upgrade-works-great-/111837077350?hash=item1a0a025f66:g:NH0AAOSwcdBWToc0&vxp=mtr

There are also separate SL70 and tray auctions on eBay right now, but the auction I linked includes both.

sourdough44

Reaction score
Seems rather quick for the SL-40 to be discontinued, but it is the case. I do like the clear, crisp comm of my SL-30 though. I guess the future is all the integrated units, GTN-650 and above.

msires

N8825W
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Seems rather quick for the SL-40 to be discontinued, but it is the case. I do like the clear, crisp comm of my SL-30 though. I guess the future is all the integrated units, GTN-650 and above.
They replaced the SL-40 and SL-30 with the GTR-225 and GNC-255 respectively. The GTR-225 includes a two place intercom, same as the SL-40 did.

Mark

jruhnke

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Too bad the replacements don't fit the low-profile slot that the SL units did. The one piece of G* equipment in my Avidyne stack was the SL-30 for Comm/Nav 2. It was only the slim form factor of that radio that allowed the whole set of avionics to be installed as a single stack.

BGFYankee

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
What cracks me up is the GNC-255 sells new for what a SL-30 sells for very used. That's how much people like those SL-30s! I'd love to have one myself, but can't see paying that much for it.

msires

N8825W
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Too bad the replacements don't fit the low-profile slot that the SL units did. The one piece of G* equipment in my Avidyne stack was the SL-30 for Comm/Nav 2. It was only the slim form factor of that radio that allowed the whole set of avionics to be installed as a single stack.
Agreed, I think Garmin overestimated the value of the lookup by airport ID, and seriously undervalued the small form factor of the SL series.

Mark