• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

WTB First Plane

Piperporsche180944

Reaction score
Good afternoon gentlemen,

I am new to aviation and at the age of 25 decided I'd like to purchase my first plane. Please let me know what you have, no tail draggers, non operational is ok. Id like to stay under $10,000. I am located in Michigan and would love the opportunity to bring a old gem to its previous glory. Please message me with what you have and I will forward my phone number.

Thanks!
Randy

sourdough44

Reaction score
Are you a mechanic or 'A&P' of sorts? Will a Cessna 150/2 do? That $10,000 budget is on the low end for a plane that will fly regularly.

Once you buy you will have ongoing expenses too. Not that there isn't something out there that would work for you. Is a partnership viable in your area? Another option is a flying club of some type.

There are partially built 'experimental' types that may be in that price range too. I do see neglected planes around the airport. Then you have to convince the owner to sell at a reasonable cost in the current market.

Piperporsche180944

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response, I have access to a decent amount of labor as I've been working on a buddies house and Porsches in trade for his future labor on a plane I purchase. I would be open to Cessna! I know there are a LOT of costs that come along with plane ownership, I just want a plane that is similar to a blank canvas. Something I can make my own.

Reaction score
So what's your buddy suggesting who barter this A&P labor for you working on his house. Is he A&P, A&I. Like other said there are ongoing expenses to maintain too and AMU differs than a $ substantially. I don't think you can even get an experimental in 10k plus labor. Maybe an ultralight assuming the buddy will help with labor but you still have to buy parts and material to fix.

sourdough44

Reaction score
There are project planes out there, maybe flyable, possibly out of annual. There was a mostly abandoned one at our airport, parked outside, flat tires and all. It hadn't moved in years. Last I asked someone started working on it.

Make a few contacts at the local airport, look online and through printed sales ads. There was a fly able 150 or 152 at a local farm auction two years ago. It wasn't able to land but flew over during the auction. It went for something in the mid teens money wise.

Dreams and aviation go hand in hand. Keep sniffing around and save some coin as able.

Unit74

Reaction score
$10 grand really isn't going to get you much other than project planes. If I had $10k to fly, I'd rent. As an owner, your plane owns ypur checkbook at times. As a renter, unless you wreck it, the other guy pays for the issues.

Do you have a rating yet?

raymos

Reaction score
Buying a project limits the market unless you are willing to pay the expense of disassembly and transportation to your location.

There is a Cessna 150/150 (yes, has a Lycoming O320) at 3J1 available to someone with lots of time. Needs a lot of work but could be had for under 10k.

alexcomanche180

Reaction score
10k would buy a headache or a accident waiting to happen if your not and A&P, plus you need another 10 to run the plane, look into ultralights if your budget is 10k 😉

Raptor05121

Mooney Apostate
Reaction score
Randy, my 140 is for sale for 10k. She needs A LOT of work but if you have an IA as a friend and can save on labor, it would be a nice little project. Located in Florida.