• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

WTB Cherokee 180

jav8or

Reaction score
Recently got the ok to expand the search from strictly.

What's a good price range for an IFR capable late 60's model?

Thanks!

HammerinHank

Reaction score
I'd say starting around $35K on up. But may be a better option to spend less on a VFR Airplane and spend the extra money getting it IFR and putting the equipment you want into the Plane instead of settling for what's in it. Most Airplanes that say that they are IFR are usually Not current and need to be re-certified.
I'm in the situation where I don't know if I want to sell and get a bigger, Faster Plane or keep mine. But if I were to sell my 1969. I'd price it at 45-55K.

arkvet

Reaction score
There's often a difference between IFR capable and IFR efficient / practical.

Granted I haven't been in aviation too long but can't imagine following around VOR's as my primary means of IFR flying.

Personally I'd want a waas gps as a minimum. I think you're going to get into the 40's before you find many with that.

HammerinHank

Reaction score
There's often a difference between IFR capable and IFR efficient / practical.

Granted I haven't been in aviation too long but can't imagine following around VOR's as my primary means of IFR flying.

Personally I'd want a waas gps as a minimum. I think you're going to get into the 40's before you find many with that.
I agree with that. Mine is IFR but only legal to Fly ILS Approaches and VOR's. If I keep mine. A year from now. I'll install a GTN 650. $10,000 just for the unit. �� That's why I think it's better to spend $15-20K less on a VFR plane and have all new stuff out in and what you want. Not what someone else wanted years prior.

jav8or

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I really appreciate the response!

I have heard that if I want avionics it's just better to purchase them already installed on a used aircraft. My only mist have is a 430. If I can get the rest of my prerequisites and the garmin, I would be golden, especially at $40K!

HammerinHank

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I really appreciate the response!

I have heard that if I want avionics it's just better to purchase them already installed on a used aircraft. My only mist have is a 430. If I can get the rest of my prerequisites and the garmin, I would be golden, especially at $40K!
Good luck in your search. A 180 is a Beautiful Flying Machine. I love mine. I was looking at a 140 same time was looking at my 180. Was a $6K difference in price. I believe I got a $20K more value.

ericbolt

Reaction score
Not sure if you would consider a 235, but I have a 69 235 for sale.

jav8or

Reaction score
If your selling that 235 in his price range I will take it and he can have my 180
The value is there at the 235's current price. Just don't have the extra to cover it right now.

#CashOnly
#ZeroFinancing

If I had it though, I would be on ,my to inspect a 235!

Latest posts