• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

WTB- 180/235/Archer/Arrow/Six

pgl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all. Looking to buy one of the airplanes listed above. 1968 model year or newer preferred. Plane must be in decent shape. Budget is high 30's to mid 40's, but of course price is commensurate and negotiable with it's condition, TT, Engine time, avionics. All the good stuff. I am not interested in a tricked out, high priced airplane with all the latest gadgets and whiz bangs. I get enough of that at my day job. I just want a small, simple, single engine airplane where everything works and I can go play on nice days. And has enough HP and useful load that I can put my family in it and still clear the trees. I think the airplanes listed above meet that criteria. If anyone is thinking of selling, or knows anyone that is thinking of selling, please let me know. Thanks.

Leigh

Reaction score
Might be worthwhile if you included the region you are in. There are people active here from all over the world.

Flying_Monkey

Reaction score
I think you are going to have a very hard time finding any of those airplanes in decent, flyable condition for 30-45k. You are more likely to be able to find a PA28-140 in that price range.

pgl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the responses. I'm in PA but can go anywhere to take a look.

More than likely Flying Monkey. I've had 3 messages so far, one of which was a broker soliciting their services. The other 2 were 2-Cherokee 180's in my price range, but both had been sitting for quite sometime, so I passed.

propjoe

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check Barnstormers frequently. I got mine four hours after the seller posted it, on a Saturday morning. $20k, 1971, 180F high time engine that had new cylinders installed on a old field OH. The seller had it less than an hour drive from me. I had a few A&P/IA friends do the pre-buy. As soon as I saw it, I knew it was mine unless my Mechanic buddies found a show stopper. My IA friend Norm summed it up best. "Nothing special, best thing about it is that its a 180". I've put a lot of love ($$$) in it but learned a ton. I still flew it for close to another 300 Hours, till I had a rod bearing start putting metal in the filter. Now it has two G5's, 530W and a bunch of other upgrades. Covid Engine project (among many other things) has been months and getting close to running now. I love my little Cherokee.

Reactions: pgl

pgl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Yeah I check barnstormers quite frequently. There is a 66 -180 for sale in Florida that's listed right now in Barnstormers for 32k. Time is around 6000 and fairly new engine, but not interested in it. There's also a good looking one one in Michigan that's at 39k. So they're out there. Just gotta beat out the brokers. BTW, does anyone know why there are so many Arrows available in the market right now? Cost to operate maybe? Maybe damaged? I've seen quite a number available.

PaulR

Reaction score
TRADE A PLANE, ASO, CONTROLLER, SKYWAGONS, SUNCOAST AVIATION, ARMBRUSTER, BARLET AVIATION, PRISTINE AIRPLANES, BARNSTORMERS ETC are all good websites and watch them all.

Most you can put in what plane what your looking for, and will send you an email with any new listing for the makes and models you select.

Fly to or drive to local ap in your area and check the bulletin boards, and often will find something not listed online for sale and have seen many nice ones on the bulletin boards over the years.

FYI I owned a 82 Archer-II and great first plane and sold it in 2014 and the market was dead then, and plane was pristine with new leather seats, Garmin 430, great paint, auto pilot and many other updates and sold it for 65K with the market down for aircraft.

I think your budget is low just like mine and we all want something nice and low price, and haven't looked for a while at prices for anything for me, but seems prices are up in the past four years.

So my rough guess not being in the market a 68 Piper 180 at 40K will probably have an engine at TBO, and nothing wrong with that and you can pick your own shop and get the engine done, but thinking a nice 180 is probably in the 65-80k range now that you can jump in and fly away and not have to do a lot too.

Best Wishes finding a nice plane that fits your mission and takes a lot of time to find something nice, and priced right and the good ones sell fast. So do your homework on all the websites, and know the numbers what your dream plane(s) is selling for and when you find a nice one with a fair price, jump on it as the good ones go quick and the overpriced ones sit for sale for forever.

pgl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the information and well wishes.

Azpilot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re seeing a lot of high time Arrows being dumped by flight schools. While some complex time is still needed for most programs, they can now also used TAA aircraft for commercial training. That, and a complex aircraft is also no longer required for the commercial ride.

As a lesser issue, people freaked out when the ERAU arrow shed its wing a couple of years ago.

Brian

67AV8R
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re seeing a lot of high time Arrows being dumped by flight schools. While some complex time is still needed for most programs, they can now also used TAA aircraft for commercial training. That, and a complex aircraft is also no longer required for the commercial ride.

As a lesser issue, people freaked out when the ERAU arrow shed its wing a couple of years ago.
Not too mention the added cost for annual and insurance for a retractable. You just don't get enough kts/$ for the added expense.