• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Wing spar joints

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweety

Reaction score
I watched this Mike Busch video concerning bolted joints in tension, which covers our Piper Cherokee wing spar joints:

Watching it toward the end, I observe that the joint isn't pure shear, but rather shear plus friction, where the friction is supplied by the clamping tension of the attach bolts. Losing that tension can cause fretting on the sides of the through holes, which can lead to fracture of the surrounding material in the same way the ERAU failure apparently occurred. So I was wondering whether it would be of value to periodically re-torque the attach bolts. Since the spar cap and carry-through are made of relatively softer material, is it possible that bolt tension is being relieved by "cold-flow" of the aluminum?

BTW, I have no relationship with Mr Busch or Savvy Aviation, but I do find his videos very informative.

Latest posts

Back