• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

WI to AZ via ABQ thoughts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerjohnson00

Reaction score
Spring break is just about upon us once again and I’m planning another flight from WI to Tucson (RYN) with the family to visit relatives. We made the journey last year, and appreciated the great feedback I received when asked in this forum. It was an adventure for sure and flying in the desert SW is very different from the Great Lakes...ie convective bumps and density altitudes. We broke it up into two days, stopping overnight in Amarillo on the way down...talk about windy! My thought for this year is much the same, breaking it up into two or three legs the first say, but to change it up a little, I’m thinking about ABQ for the overnight. Getting into ABQ seems fairy straight forward...my questions is more about the flight south from ABQ to DMN, along the Rio Grande river valley. I know to avoid mountain flying when the winds at peak are 25 kts plus. Outside of that, is this route normally doable and hows the flypical flight like? We’ll be flying a Cherokee 235 with the ceiling of 12K pretty much an absolute as I’ve come to learn. Thanks again and looking forward to the feedback.

Latest posts

Back