• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Which radio to keep?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just looking for opinions on this:

I just paid my deposit for install of an Avidyne IFD440 into my Cherokee. It's a big investment, but one I expect to enjoy for a long time. My current radios are a Narco MK12D+ and a King KX170B. On paper, the Narco is the more capable radio. It is more "modern" (lol) than the King, has flip flop ability, and also has GS ability, which the King does not. The Narco works great and I have a fresh 8130 on it from having replaced the main board (cost me $650). The Narco is wired in as COM/NAV 1, the King is #2.

The King while older, has some advantages over the Narco. First, its a legendary tank of a machine. I've heard they just simply never break. Simple construction, analog display, robust and simple. Second, there are several TKM slide in replacements for it that I could capitalize on later on if I so chose. I do not believe there is a single slide in replacement for the Narco. If I keep the Narco, I'm always keeping a Narco unless I pay for the install of swapping to more modern.

My understanding is that IFD440 will require a GS receiver, currently in use by the Narco. Not sure how that will work. And it will cost me extra money to move the Narco from the #1 spot on the audio panel to the #2 slot. I know its a minor thing, but I want my IFD440 in the #1 slot. If I replace the Narco, the King stays as #2, no problem.

As it stands, all I use the King for is listening to ATIS and AWOS/ASOS. The Narco is my main radio right now.

Another point is that the Narco and the indicator with a fresh 8130 (less than a year ago) will probably fetch about $1,100 on the market right now, whereas the King is probably $200 at best. So, I'd get about 1 AMU in pay back to offset the cost of the IFD440.

Hard to decide. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Back