• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Whelen LED bulb replacement STC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need to replace a nav bulb. I know this can be done by the pilot with a direct replacement incandescent without A&P signoff. However, I read mixed opinions on replacement with a pop-in LED direct replacement (not rewiring for new LED fixture) as to whether that requires A&P sign off. Whelen has a direct LED replacement (CHROMA1R) that is TSO-C30b compliant so from my reading of Part 43 Appendix A (c) 17 this would be allowed under the preventive maintenance. However Whelen carries an STC for this bulb also, and my understanding is that if and STC is available from the manufacturer then an A&P is required. I know this sounds simple but my A&P is not located at my field and is a hassle to get the plane there for simple maintenance that I can do myself.

Latest posts

Back