• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

What would you do? Radio on the audio panel versus GPS?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Given the choice, would you rather have a (PAR200B + GNC355) or a (PMA450b + GPS175)?

• PAR200B + GPS175

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • PMA450b + GNC355

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters
Reaction score
The captain has authorized an upgrade to the radio stack. Either a GPS175 or GNC355 will go in the location of a KLN-94. The KMA-20 and KX-155 will both come out. I am OK losing one of my two nav radios in this exchange.

The options are:
A) PS Engineering PAR200b (audiopanel plus Trig com) + Garmin GPS175 (GPS-only)
B) PS Engineering PMA450b (audiopanel) + Garmin GNC355 (GPS plus com)

The specific functions that the PAR200b loses to the PMA450b are lack of marker beacon functionality (I honestly don't think I'm going to miss that, but if people here find this important, I would factor it into my decision to prepare for possible sale about 3 years down the road), lack of a USB port (I think I have enough ports in the plane anyways, but I guess it can't hurt to have one more), and some of the rather extreme level of audio distribution covered by our own @Flying_Monkey. The capabilities of the PAR200b seem good enough for the long trips.

One of the questions I wonder about is the scenario of the com going down years down the road. If the com goes out on the Garmin unit, I'm thinking it's going to be much more expensive to fix than if the Trig radio goes out on the PAR200b.

Maybe I'm overthinking this. Anyhow, if anyone has any thoughts at all, please chime in.

N526MM radio stack _ small.jpg

Latest posts

Back