• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

What variant of PA-28

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to The Cherokee Tribe, you have a Cherokee 140B. it goes on to say that in 1969, the Cruiser model added luxury touches to the plane, and rear seats became standard.

I have a 1966 -140. I guess that's why I don't have any "luxury touches" 🤣🤣🤣

The Cherokee Tribe is not specific on this, but reading between the lines suggests the Cruiser was a 2 seater, whereas the 140B is a 4 place. My 1966 model has rear seats, which apparently were an option that year.

In 1971, the rear seats were removed, and it became known as the FliteLiner

The following is an excerpt from The Cherokee Tribe:

The Cherokee 140 is the type of plane people get into fights over. Some argue it is a two-seat trainer. Others swear that it is a four-seat family plane. In fact, both are correct - up to a point.
Part of the problem may stem from the fact that Piper did not exactly know what to make of the plane. When first introduced in 1964 it was strictly a two- seat trainer, designed to replace the Colt and provide competition for the Cessna 150. To create the plane Piper stripped a Cherokee 150, including removing the rear seats, and then changed to a climb propeller and limited RPM to 2,450. The restrictions were short-lived, however. In 1965 the horsepower was increased-back to 150--and in 1966 Piper offered rear seats as an option. In 1969 the Cruiser model added luxury touches to the plane and, in fact, the rear seat became standard on that model. Sounds a lot like Piper was considering the plane a family plane, right?
So then, in 1971, the factory once again removed the rear seat and created the Flite Liner - a two-seat trainer. Well, no matter. The plane is what you want it to be. And most of the 140s in the field have had rear seats installed somewhere during their lives. The only problem is that the plane is a bit marginal in performance and sone pilots do not do the headwork required to stay out of trouble. Commonly, the scenario involves a pilot out-of- training for a long enough period to simply fly by "feel." He thinks i t is a sign of a newcomer to actually do weight-and- balance computations. But, if you fly a Cherokee 140 you had best get used to doing some computation. A 140, with all seats filled and with full fuel, is like a pet coral snake with a migraine headache. I wouldn't want to fool with it and neither would you.

From Roger Peperell book "Piper Aircraft".

Development of the PA-22-108 Colt started in 1960. Production ran from 1960 to 1964. This included an experimental version with a Chevy Corvair 95 HP engine. GM would not support using their engine in an airplane. Piper also wanted more HP.

In 1960 the Cherokee 140 was marketed as a "Low cost four passenger business airplane." This was a replacement for the Tri Pacer and first flew with a 160 HP engine. The design development started in 1956. The engine was changed to 150 HP in 1961. The Cherokee B model was introduced in 1963. There was also a trainer version with a 140 HP engine. To compete with the C-150, Piper tried both a 115 and 125 HP engine. This version was newer produced. In 1970 Piper introduced the PA-28-140 Cherokee Flight Liner airplane with only two seats and 140 HP.

Latest posts

Back