• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

What is your technique for dealing with up/down drafts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick G

1977 Lance P32R-300
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question is for the more experienced pilots who have flown in mountainous terrain during rough weather.

I was flying over Wyoming this week when I encountered strong updraft, followed by a strong downdraft.

Let me be clear: This is not a "I flew over a thermal" question. My VSI was peaked at nearly 2000' per minute in the updraft. :eek: In the downdraft I have no idea what the VSI was reading. That was the least of my concerns. I was more concerned about airspeed and G-load.

What is your technique to handle this situation?

Here's what I did (and tell me if I'm wrong for doing it):

1. Turn off the autopilot. It could not keep up with the changes. (I was in VFR)
2. Maintain pitch attitude. Basically just try to ride it through, but adjust slightly to counteract at least some of the air direction, but not so much as to fight it.
3. Reduce speed. I tried to get it down below maneuvering speed before the worst hit.
4. On updraft I reduced power. I didn't want to pitch down because I knew the downdraft was coming at any moment. But at the same time I didn't want to drop like a rock once we got out of the updraft.
5. On downdraft I added power back in. I tried to maintain airspeed at cruse/climb rate to avoid getting into a potential stall condition. But at the same time I was avoiding G-load. (when the downdraft stops, it stops abruptly).

I appreciate any insight on what might be a better way to handle this situation and any tips you might have.

To give it more context: This incident occurred at about 10,500' which is approximately 2500' AGL. In the updraft I gained about 1000' and in the downdraft I lost about 1500' by the time I got out of it. My wife said that our dog was "airborne" for a few seconds. Everyone hit their heads on the ceiling.

Latest posts

Back