• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

What is he best kind of auto gas to buy for my SUV?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickP

Reaction score
I own and fly a very sweet Piper turbo-Arrow, but this question is directed at those who are knowledgeable about automotive gasoline engines.

We drive a 1998 Nissan Pathfinder SUV. The engine knocks if we just put in regular grade gasoline (87 octane, 10% ethanol)...so we need a higher octane gasoline. The question I have is: what is the optimal grade of gasoline to put in this vehicle? It seems to me that the issues are:

1- do you get better gas mileage from running a higher octane gasoline (89, 91 or 94 octane)?
2- how much performance degradation do you get from the added ethanol in auto gasoline? Regular grade (87) has 10% ethanol. The mid grades (89/91) have 5% ethanol. And premium (94) has no ethanol....is it worth the extra cost to buy premium and avoid the ethanol?
3- if you buy mid grade (89/91), it seems to me that you get a hoseful of regular (87) because the previous customer almost certainly bought that grade...you get the dregs in your vehicle. When you leave, the next guy at the pump gets a hoseful of mid-grade gasoline that you paid for at regular price. Is this factor significant? Is it worth buying premium (comes with it's own hose)...to avoid getting "hosed"?
4- it seems to me that regular gasoline is probably the cheapest, lowest quality fuel in the pump...mass produced for the masses with lower standards of quality control. Is the quality of mid grades or premium better, and is it worth the extra cost?

BTW...I live in Canada. Just thought I'd put this question out there for anyone who knows all about piston gasoline engines. Any takers?

Latest posts

Back