• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

What and where is the Ammeter Shunt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickP

Reaction score
Problem: in flight, the ammeter is pretty much pegged at 70A...turning off some of the load reduces it to about 50A (1977 turbo-Arrow). This is new and I have never seen it read this high.

My mechanics put a clamp gauge on the alternator and measured the output at 20A, while the gauge was reading 70A. We have tested the gauge and it seems to be working properly. I am told that the problem is probably in the ammeter shunt or the shunt wiring.

Can anyone tell me where this shunt is typically located? I have never had this problem before in an airplane, and don't think I have ever noticed this thing before...I want to see it before we spend alot of time and trouble to change it.

Any idea where to look for it? Anyone have any photos of where it typically sits in the airplane?

Latest posts

Back