• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Weirdness with Lightspeed Sierra on pilot jacks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I usually fly with a Bose A20, but being curious I decided to try out my wife's Lightspeed Sierra. I have noticed two things that I are specific to the Lightspeed Sierra hooked up to the pilot jacks.

1) There is a high-pitched electrical sound in the background at all times.

2) On takeoff, I picked up a radio station (either AM or FM) for which I could hear a commercial running faintly in the background. That eventually went away when I got a few hundred feet above pattern altitude.

This only happens with the Lightspeed Sierra hooked up to the pilot jack. It does not happen with the Bose A20 nor my old AvComm. It also does not happen with the Lightspeed Sierra hooked up to the co-pilot or passenger jacks.

I guess the easy answer is to just not use the Lightspeed Sierra on the pilot side, but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what may be going on here.

Latest posts

Back