• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

WAT LED Lighting for Piper Aircraft

msires

N8825W
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a G3 at Oshkosh this year. Much brighter than the original Parmetheus I had. Draws 3 amps instead of 1, but still a lot less than the 10 amps the old tractor light used, and much (orders of magnitude) brighter.

sccpc

Reaction score
Yes the G3 is probably the best bang for the buck out there on the market. I highly recommend upgrading to it if you have an older LED or are still running an incandescent light. The G3 is compatible with both 14V and 28V electrical systems and emits around 140,000 candela power. It's better than the $650 AeroLED Sunspot. See for yourself!
I have the G3s in my wingtips and a Sunspot 36-4313 in the engine cowl. All three lights are landing lights. The Sunspot has a slightly wider beam than the G3, draws a bit higher amps and is slightly brighter than the G3.

Both are very close in their ability to light the pavement. Either is a huge improvement over the old Teledyne LEDs lights that I had.

This is just my observation.

OSUAV8TER

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have just sold one set of the legacy Orion 650s and I have one set remaining.

OSUAV8TER

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still have one pair of the legacy Orion 650s available for 10% off. I also have the companion tail light to go with it. If you want a strobing tail/nav then the Orion 500 is the light you need. If you want the straight nav light, then the 71554 is the light you need. I carry both!

[email protected] <-- Email me
1-833-425-5288 <-- Call me
Whelen Aircraft Lighting <-- My LED inventory click here

650Green.jpg