• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Warrior o-320 Mixture not shutting engine down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allan

Longtime Piper owner
Reaction score
I have owned my plane since 2007 and never had this kind of problem before. Last Saturday I went on a cross country and when I tried to shut down the engine with the mixture, it wanted to continue running...I finally got it to shut down by adding throttle. Probably not the best thing to do.

The on field mechanic gave it a quick look and didn't see anything wrong with the cable travel - I didn't either but it did the same thing when returning from my cross country. Today I changed oil and did the run-up - upon shut down the same thing occurred. Each time I just turned off the mags - again, doesn't seem right.

On todays run up, the engine hesitated when giving slow full throttle...it is cold here so I waited until the plane was warm - 150 oil temp. The hesitation went away but I did a full throttle test and I only saw 2290 rpm vs 2350 at annual in July. It is 15 degrees but that didn't seem right.

Any thoughts? Carb problem?

Thanks, Allan

Latest posts

Back