• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Wanted S-Tec System 30 Paper work

Morgan3820

Reaction score
Yes, they can for huge amounts of money.

I have been thinking of one of the new experimental unit, removing the servo and control head at annual time.

Last edited:

rrc1962

Reaction score
Yes, they can for huge amounts of money.

I have been thinking of one of the new experimental unit, removing the servo and control head at annual time.
My avionics guy told me that the STC is tail number specific and to be legal, STEC has to issue the STC for YOUR tail number, which accounts for the huge amounts of money.

Charley

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Lovely.

You might as well just drop the insurance on your airplane while you are at it.

And surrender your Airworthiness Certificate to your local FSDO.

Last edited:

Leigh

Reaction score
My avionics guy told me that the STC is tail number specific and to be legal, STEC has to issue the STC for YOUR tail number, which accounts for the huge amounts of money.
Yes, they have you by the short hairs and know it.

Morgan3820

Reaction score
Lovely.

You might as well just drop the insurance on your airplane while you are at it.

And surrender your Airworthiness Certificate to your local FSDO.

Hundreds, thousands of aircraft fly all day, every day around the US without benefit of FAA approval. I know this because I work on them. The US military never asks the FAA for permission to do anything. The FAA does not generate lift for the wings or start the engine.

But anyway, I was just pointing out that the new generation of autopilots have come a long way from the old S-tec stuff. Where is the sense that the autopilot is great for my RV-6, but not for my PA-28? :confused:

Autopilots can be a great safety enhancer. The FAA needs to get off its butt and streamline the approval process or get out of the business.

Charley

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
...the new generation of autopilots have come a long way from the old S-tec stuff. Where is the sense that the autopilot is great for my RV-6, but not for my PA-28? :confused:

Autopilots can be a great safety enhancer. The FAA needs to get off its butt and streamline the approval process or get out of the business.

Agree with you on all points here, for sure!