• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Wanted: O360 A3A, A4A or A4M complete.

surveytennessee

Reaction score
I have a bad crankshaft and at 1760 SMOH, I'm looking for a cheaper option than buying a new crank plus overhaul. If anyone knows where I can buy a good used low to mid time A3A, A4A or A4M, please let me know. I really need one with most accessories included. Don't really want a prop strike engine. It will be put in a 1966 Cherokee 180C. Type certificate says A3A or A4A but the A4M is the same as an A4A except with slick mags. Thanks

voretaq7

Reaction score
Your best bet would be Controller/Trade-A-Plane/etc. -- Be very careful with picking up a used engine though: As with used planes, there are some great deals, and some hidden stinkers.

raymos

Reaction score
I found a O-360-A3A no prop strike no logs $7000.00 on BarnStormers while asking about another engine. If interested, I can pass on the contact's information via PM.

surveytennessee

Reaction score
Sure, it will be worth a shot. Thanks. I look on Barnstormers everyday and I've not seen it yet.

Charley

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have a bad crankshaft and at 1760 SMOH, I'm looking for a cheaper option than buying a new crank plus overhaul. If anyone knows where I can buy a good used low to mid time A3A, A4A or A4M, please let me know. I really need one with most accessories included. Don't really want a prop strike engine. It will be put in a 1966 Cherokee 180C. Type certificate says A3A or A4A but the A4M is the same as an A4A except with slick mags. Thanks
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but...

An A4M does not magically become an A4A by changing the mags.

In fact, an A4M with anything other than the correct Slick mags may very well become an unapproved engine in itself.

Charley

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Correct, I worded that incorrectly. I was just saying that an A4M would fit and work in a 1966 Cherokee 180C as long as the letter C is stamped at the end of the serial number on the data plate with proper field approval. See View attachment 3969.

I'm not sure I follow you.

Are you saying an A4M engine with Slick mags can be installed on your Cherokee with field approval?

And as a requirement of that field approval you would amend the engine data plate by stamping a "C" at the end of the serial number?

It's Lycoming's data plate and I don't think anyone can authorize a change to that data plate except Lycoming.

Before buying an A4M I'd get it in writing from your FSDO that they will grant you field approval for your planned installation.

I think you are on the wrong track if looking for an engine other than an A3A, or ideally, an A4A.

Why do you want to make this more difficult than it has to be? Are A4Ms more readily available, and less expensive than approved engines?

Amending the A4M's data plate is going to obliterate the engine's core value later down the road. No one will be willing to take it on an exchange.

I'm not trying to be difficult with you, but rather trying to help you avoid added expense and aggravation.

eagle

Reaction score
I would call Dave at Wentworth Air Salvage. I bought a 360 from them almost a year ago after my old one blew up shortly after takeoff. Very good experience from them and they stood behind what they sold me. It came with all accessories including mags, wires, alt, vac pump, carb, starter, and ring gear. It also came with logbook.

Last edited:

Latest posts