• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Wanted! Exhaust for 1963 180.

Bobprindle

Reaction score
Mine has cracked. Looking for a used set. The crack is on the right side where it enters the carb heat.

Thanks for the help.

Bob

Robin

Reaction score
Hi Bob,

I don't know where you are... but we have piles of old exhaust systems in a hangar that are not being used. I am not sure that we would be able to identify the parts you want, but you would be welcome to come and look.

We are Power Flow Systems, at Daytona Beach airport.

You can call me if this is of any interest 386 451 1957

Robin

Bobprindle

Reaction score
Thanks Robin.

I am located in Northern California. I will call you today.

Bob

Charley

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, I'd go for the Power Flow exhaust that Robin offers.

I'd have one, but no Power Flow offering for my serial number.

As I understand, my 180 has a pretty efficient exhaust design from the factory.

Robin

Reaction score
Thanks for the plug, Charley!

I checked, and we do have Power Flow Exhausts for the early model Cherokee 180's... up to serial number 1761.

At that point, Piper changed the exhaust to the multi-stack ones as seen on all later planes, except the Cherokee 140.

Those newer systems gain some power over the old single stack ones... in my opinion, about 12 hp, or roughly half the gain of the Power Flow ones. We did not want to have owners paying the full price for half the gain, so we have not offered Power Flow exhausts to replace later systems... although I think some of them are FAA certified.

Are any of you interested in having us change our minds?

My offer of old parts is genuine. The only problem is matching them to your needs.

Robin

Charley

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

I checked, and we do have Power Flow Exhausts for the early model Cherokee 180's... up to serial number 1761.

At that point, Piper changed the exhaust to the multi-stack ones as seen on all later planes, except the Cherokee 140.

Those newer systems gain some power over the old single stack ones... in my opinion, about 12 hp, or roughly half the gain of the Power Flow ones. We did not want to have owners paying the full price for half the gain, so we have not offered Power Flow exhausts to replace later systems... although I think some of them are FAA certified.

My offer of old parts is genuine. The only problem is matching them to your needs.

Robin
Robin,

I first learned of the Power Flow exhaust about 15 years ago.

It was written up in the "Piper Owners' Magazine", the Terry Lee Rogers publication. I don't think I was even on the internet yet at that time.

The numbers for the improvement in engine output and airplane performance simply blew my mind.

I trained in a 160 HP Cherokee, and then maybe a month after getting my private, I bought a 180. The 20 additional HP just made such an impression on me.

Then I read about the Power Flow exhaust, thinking that I might gain yet another 20 HP or more from simply removing the stock exhaust and adding your tuned exhaust.

And at the time, I was in need of 1 new muffler. I thought what a perfect time to step up to the Power Flow exhaust.

But imagine my disappointment when the Power Flow rep (could it have been you Robin? At Oshkosh?) told me that my serial number bird was not eligible because the Power Flow folks could not get the big improvements over the factory system that they were getting on the early serial number 180 Cherokees.

So I simply replaced 1 muffler and kept the original factory exhaust.

I believe Art Mattson was running your Power Flow exhaust? The one and only time I met the man, I stumbled upon him at Oshkosh several years ago. We talked about Cherokee mods for maybe an hour, planning on talking again in the future, only to sadly learn of his unexpected death shortly thereafter.

raymos

Reaction score
Hi Bob,

I don't know where you are... but we have piles of old exhaust systems in a hangar that are not being used. I am not sure that we would be able to identify the parts you want, but you would be welcome to come and look.

We are Power Flow Systems, at Daytona Beach airport.

You can call me if this is of any interest 386 451 1957

Robin
I wish I had known this a couple months ago when a student blew a hole in mine during the mag check! I could have driven down from Savannah and back the same day :-\

voretaq7

Reaction score
I would second the recommendation to go with Robin's Power Flow exhaust system if yours is one of the early 180s. It's basically like putting the newer-model 180 exhaust on and you'll get a noticeable gain in power/performance.

voretaq7

Reaction score

Speaking for myself, I would absolutely be interested in a Power Flow exhaust for my 180C (S/N 28-2097, with the "good" factory exhaust) if there were a 10-15hp gain to be had by installing it in place of the factory system.

I'll be completely honest: a 10HP gain wouldn't be enough to make me run out and buy one tomorrow (they're a bit too expensive as an "impulse upgrade" for only a 5% improvement) but it's enough of a gain where I would consider it if my exhaust needed any kind of major work (over about $1000, like say new mufflers).
If the price could be somewhere in the $3000 range without killing any profit margin for you guys it would be a total no-brainer for me when my old exhaust gives out.

raymos

Reaction score
Agree. I paid 24k for my 140 and the powerflow exhaust would help its performance more than any other upgrade. Just can't justify spending 1/6 the value of an airplane I plan to sell in the next year.

Maybe the next owner will!