• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Wanted Dimmer Switches

N2478C

Reaction score
I am looking for two dimmer switches for a Piper PA38 Tomahawk. They are located next to the Primer Switch on the lower right hand side of the panel. They both have long shafts and both are mounted in a box like housing. One has a continuous on / dimmer combination for nav-lights and then dims the panel lights. The other one is a single circuit for dimming radio lights. Any help would be appreciated. Thanksdimmer 1 and 2.jpg

cdnemsguy

Reaction score
I am not sure without you pulling them and getting the number but they may be this dimmer that is only available at Aircraft Spruce. These were for my overhead lights on my Saratoga but may be the ones. If you pull them you will see the number stamped right on the body of the Dimmer. 6002 UMA DIMMER POT 1K OHMS, 5W

N2478C

Reaction score
they are Piper part # 77927-02 * POTENTIOMETER - Dimmer control - quantity 2 [nav light/ panel light dimmer switch]. Although they have the same part number, one is a two circuit [nav-light, panel] and the other is a one circuit [radio lights dimmer]. I have seen the ones in Aircraft Spruce, but unless I totally rewire the underpanel they wont work. The 'box' that these two switches are mounted in [thereby requiring a LONG shaft to extend to the front] have numerous wires attached to the metal of the box I am guessing using it as a ground attachment. The Solid State dimmer switches would be perfect, but I would have to build bus bar for all the ground wires attached to the metal housing. Thanks.

Last edited: