• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Wandering manifold pressure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John700

82' PA 28 RT 201T, T-Arrow based in So Cal
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While flying a friends '79 T-Arrow this week I observed that the manifold pressure drops several inches and then returns about every 5 minutes. Cont TSIO 360 FB I have not observed this drop on other aircraft flown and certainly not on my own T-Arrow.

Manifold pressure set at 30" at 15,000 (same thing happens at lower altitudes, doesn't seem to be related to altitude) the manifold pressure will slowly drop 2 or 3 inches over the course of 30 seconds and then return to 30" in about another 30 seconds. This will repeat every so often and isn't predictably repeatable. Sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't.

The fuel system has been setup per Cont's service recommendations. However, I am suspicious the manifold pressure drop may be related to fuel. Upper deck vacuum does not appear to be leaking. Engine has about 1,500 hrs SNEW and a new top 100 hrs ago.

Any other suggestions on investigation?

Latest posts

Back