• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

W&B calculation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently bought a 1962 Cherokee 160 and have been going over the the weight and balance information. It looks like plane was weighed after it was painted in 2018, but I'm a bit confused about the calculations in the log book. I've attached copies of what I think the relevant pages are.

As you can see, the plane was weighed with fuel. Here are the weights:
L: 582 lb
R: 573 lb
Nose: 445 lb
Total: 1600 lb

Going back to the original W&B info, the arm of the main wheels is 109.6 and the nose wheel is 34.3

My calculations of the moment is 63787 + 62801 + 15264 = 141852
less 300 lb of fuel = 28500
= 113352

It looks like the A&P deducted 15 lb from the empty weight (oil? unusable fuel?). If I use an empty weight of 1285 lb, then the arm is 88.2, essentially what was recorded in the logbook. But if I use an empty weight of 1300 lb, then I get an arm of 87.2.

I appreciate there's not a huge difference, but am interested to know which numbers I should use?

Attachments

• W&B 1.jpg
    W&B 1.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 10
  • W&B 2.jpg
    W&B 2.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back