• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Video of a Constant Speed propeller, Total pitch change range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a McCauley C203 propeller that a friend owns. Cessna 182 application. He wanted it painted with Silver (Polane). I painted my prop the same way. I think it looks great! I took a short video of it after I assembled it and was checking operation. It only takes 30-40 psi of shop air to move the blades on the build table. This prop is oil pressure to increase pitch as are most SEL applications.

Notice it only moves about 15°-20° or so. That is it for most single engine propellers.

Feathering propeller will move about 70° or so depending on application.
Reversing propellers are 90°+ depending on application.
The blades changing pitch while spinning with tons of forces applied is what keeps me up at night and also employed for the last 35 years.

Latest posts

Back