• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Vibrations during run-up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guzziguy

Reaction score
Hi all,
Recent development and thought I'd put it to the group for consideration.
PA28R-180, IO-360

Last weekend on climb out I noticed a small vibration that began around 1,500 to 2,000 feet at either full power or as I brought the prop and throttle back. No indications during run up. I opted to turn around and land. Did a run up on the ground after landing, no vibration noted. It was only noted BEGINNING in the air.

Yesterday, taxied to the run up area and the vibration began this time at 1,500 RPM and continued all the way up to full static power. The vibration was much more noticeable than last weekend in flight. During the run up, I did a mag check and saw the requisite RPM drop. Also, during the run up, as I brought the RPMs up to 2300 RPM, it appeared to me that the RPMs rose slower than what I would normally expect.
Bringing it back to 800 RPM, the vibrations ceased.

Maintenance background:
1) new left mag installed about 3 weeks ago (it was old and the teeth failed)
2) right mag is old but not too many hours on it.
3) Great oil analysis done from only 20 hours ago
4) Previous replacement of the mechanical fuel pump 2 years ago caused similar symptoms because of a plugged fuel injector that was blocked due to possibly knocking loose some schmutz in the fuel line. No other fuel-related maintenance has been done since that time.
5) Spark plugs are largely new or recently replaced in the previous 4 years. Not sure of the mix of new/old plugs.
6) brand new spark plug harness replaced within the last 6 months.

New mechanic suspects a bad plug.

Thoughts?
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back