• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Valve sticking…..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It seems Lycoming has more problems with valve sticking then Continental. The reason is because of the sodium filled exhaust valves in Lycoming engines. The temperature difference in this area is over 100F.

Mike Busch did a webinar a few years ago on this and it is very good. The bottom line is valve sticking is caused by the lead in 100LL.

Mike also said the Camguard does not stop it and Marvel Mystery oil has no effect.

Actually CamGuard is a great corrosion preventative and MM can remove sludge from lifters…….

Again mike said try and keep cylinder temps above 1100 degrees and above. On the ground this gets harder especially in cold temperatures.

I/have personally also used CamGuard and MM oil…..and I avoid any synthetic oil because of the lead in 100LL

Simply take the lead out and the problem goes away, however it is not easy

MIKE BUSCH SEMINAR on VALVE STICKING

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What can we do to prevent valve sticking? It has destroyed a lot of engines and cause emergency landings…..I personally had three instances of valve sticking in the air in Continental engines……

Latest posts

Back