• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Use of Sealant at Cylinder Mounting Flange

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nappnigg

Reaction score
Hi together,

the last few days I have read Mike Busch new book „Engines“. When I came to chapter 43 I became a little bit shocked by reading the story of a Debonair crashed in 2005 due to a cylinder coming apart from the crank case (Continental Engine) due to the use of a sealant at the cylinder flange during a cylinder replacement. The fact that is shocking me even more is that during the replacement of my No. 1 cylinder on my IO-360 two years ago obviously a sealant was used. The red stuff has come out of the gap between the cylinder flange and the crankcase notably. After my study of the case it is totally clear to my why not to use such a sealant in between and I will give my mechanic an angry call on Monday. Is there something I could do misunderstand or different on Lycomings that permits such a sealant at the flange or does my mechanic simply screw the hole thing up ?

Many thanks for professional advice!

Tomasz

Latest posts

Back