• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Urgent need for PA34-200 service manual, the 2019 revision...(753-817)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbs

Part66 mechanic
Reaction score
Hi.

I'm about to reregister and have a PA34 inspected. I just discovered my SM is no longer up to date (it was the 2003 version until recently). Anyone a link to it ?

Piper changed a lot of their manuals in 2019 and the parts catalogs in 2021 (more detail on the wing bolts and hardware). Unless someone has purchased a current manual and will share the only source is ATP. You can purchase a one year subscription for $780.00. Since the manuals are in the cloud you can get instant access after purchase. atp.com

I hoped someone would share....$780 is a bit high for just a few commas revised....

yes,. Inspectors check your documentation is properly updated to deliver the ARC...Reason why I need the current version.

What documentation has to be updated? The airplane hasn’t changed since it was built.

I ask, because in the US, youre required to perform maintenance based on a service manual that was current at the time the plane was built. You’re certainly free (and it’s often a good idea) to use more current manuals.

Its perhaps different in France….which is why I ask.

Yes, it is. In EASA-land, you have to perform maintenance with an up-to-date documentation, and they check you have it (they only allow the IPC to be not current), and that you have proper access to service bulletins and so forth. So I have to show my inspector that I have a valid login/password on cessna support , or on mytbm.aero for the rallye we have, and that my SMs are at the latest revision (and that I know where to check they are the latest...). One of the reason, it that we also have (until recently with part ML) to follow manufacturer's instructions for maintenance, and that they may change when the manual is updated...(like, for Cessna series 100, in the latest revision, where they introduced a 4 year time limit for the beacon and landing light switch - what a change !).

What documentation has to be updated? The airplane hasn’t changed since it was built.

I ask, because in the US, youre required to perform maintenance based on a service manual that was current at the time the plane was built. You’re certainly free (and it’s often a good idea) to use more current manuals.

Its perhaps different in France….which is why I ask.
Many FSDO inspectors in the USA would disagree that you do not need the updated manuals.

Yes….employees at government agencies often like to disagree with themselves. Unfortunately, their superiors have a nasty habit of occasionally making opinions, in black and white, which supersedes their disagreements.

To wit:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...Other_Documents_2010_Legal_Interpretation.pdf
ETA: I’m not making the argument that old documentation is better…however, I also know that Piper, Cessna, etc, are not investing heavily in continuous improvement of maintenance instructions for 50-60 year old airplanes. These older planes do not have an open architecture with software revisions (like modern avionics), and do not change over time. A decent copy of a maintenance manual, combined with ADs and SBs, should be more than adequate to keep any of our vintage piston singles and twins airworthy and safe.

Last edited:
Yes….employees at government agencies often like to disagree with themselves. Unfortunately, their superiors have a nasty habit of occasionally making opinions, in black and white, which supersedes their disagreements.

To wit:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...Other_Documents_2010_Legal_Interpretation.pdf
ETA: I’m not making the argument that old documentation is better…however, I also know that Piper, Cessna, etc, are not investing heavily in continuous improvement of maintenance instructions for 50-60 year old airplanes. These older planes do not have an open architecture with software revisions (like modern avionics), and do not change over time. A decent copy of a maintenance manual, combined with ADs and SBs, should be more than adequate to keep any of our vintage piston singles and twins airworthy and safe.
It basically states that if you use an out of date manual to perform maintenance then it puts the burden of proof on the FAA to prove why it was unacceptable for you to use the expired manual. In essence, if the part of the manual you are using has been revised, the FAA would win in court. If it hasn’t you could win in court after the FAA FSDO inspector violates you. Not a risk I am willing to take. How would I know which parts of the manual have been revised without access to the latest revision?

Latest posts

Back