• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creekrat

Reaction score
So a couple of months ago we bought a pa-28-180c and at the same time purchased some avionics to upgrade the ol’ girl. The avionics were purchased from Jesse at Saint Aviation. He gave us a pretty good deal on some Avidyne demo units, AMX240 and AXP340, from his demo plane. We also got a freshly serviced 430w and a G5 HSI. Fortunately we have an awesome A&P IA that is “supervising” the install and although I was pretty confident that I could get everything wired up I opted to get direct wire harnesses from Approach Fast Stack via Jesse as well. While I was gone for work, Gulf of Mexico oilfield, my harnesses came in and I just got to put my eyes on them today. I must say that I’m loving what I see so far. All of the connectors were installed with the exception of the small adsb connector for the transponder and the one for our existing kx155. The kx155 terminations do have the molex pins installed that I’ll have to insert into the existing connector after I remove the current ones. Everything is labeled neatly and the power wires even show what size breaker they should be connected to. Even though we are only going to do the single G5 HSI, the harness is pre-wired for the AI as well so when we do that one it will be a simple plug and play. The front audio jacks are pre-wired and there are long pigtails for pilot and copilot ptt switches. There is plenty of wire for the rear headset provisions as well as the jacks which are not preinstalled so as to allow for trimming of the wires to length. There is a long pigtail for the gmu11 so that it can reach just about anywhere you would mount it, ours will be in the wing. After talking with Tim Haas at Approach, he advised that there are wires I won’t use but would come in handy should we eventually slide an IFD into the slot where we will have the 430W. I’m hoping to get everything ready and installed next week. I just need to order my breakers, all of the install manuals call for a pull type circuit breaker, and everything to set up an avionics buss.
IMG_0090.JPG
IMG_0089.JPG
IMG_0088.JPG
IMG_0087.JPG
IMG_0086.JPG
IMG_0085.JPG
IMG_0084.JPG
IMG_0083.JPG
IMG_0082.JPG
IMG_0081.JPG
IMG_0080.JPG
IMG_0079.JPG