• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Uncowl for oil changes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck

David Megginson
Reaction score
It's been years since I've done my own oil changes. I'm beginning to scale back my consulting work a bit now in the 10-year home stretch to retirement, though, so I'm planning to start again next spring. I'll get a refresher from my AME (A&P to Americans) the first time, of course.

So here's my question: if you have a PA-28 where the cowl fully opens on both sides (not just a little oil door), do you bother to uncowl for an oil change? I didn't in the past, because I could easily do everything through those big side doors -- I'd just clamp a garden hose onto the oil drain and run down it into a bucket. Lots of room to swing a wrench and change the oil filter without uncowling.

I think many shops just uncowl any plane by reflex, because the big side cowl doors on the PA-28-161 and similar aren't that common in piston singles. Are there any benefits to fully uncowling just to change oil and filter (or even to rotate plugs)? What do you and your partners do with your PA-28-151, @cappy48 ?

Thanks, David

Latest posts

Back