• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Unable to maintain manifold pressure at altitude

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easyski

Reaction score
1999 Saratoga II TC, TIO-540-AH1A

Redline MP 38"

Finally got plane back after exhaust repair fiasco, had the problem PRIOR to exhaust issue but mech thought possible related to the exhaust leak.

I get full redline MP on takeoff but notice the MP bounces a bit between 36.5 and 38 consistently, almost like I am continuously adjusting the throttle every second - RPM remains constant

Around 6k, the bouncing of MP has stopped but only able to maintain about 36.5"
Around 10-11k MP is down to max 34.5" at full throttle, full rich, max RPM

According to POH, I should be able to maintain 38" all the way to 12-14k.

I've read this: https://www.avweb.com/news/maint/182847-1.html#strategy and feeling like it might be a waste gate issue.

Plane just came out of annual and was pressure checked on both sides for leaks without issues.

Just seeing if anyone with much more knowledge than myself has any ideas or has had this issue in the past with repair tips.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back