• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Un-commanded roll to the right in an Aztec.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emoshkovich

Reaction score
Yesterday, returning from a dinner flight, at 4500ft on autopilot with GPS roll steering, I noticed that the airplane started drifting off to the right and getting away from the flight director. The airplane has a KFC-200 autopilot and is a 1980 Turbo F model. When I disconnected the autopilot the aircraft tried to roll to the right when hands off. I forced it level, with some effort. Immediately pulled the autopilot and the electric trim brakers. That did not help. I had to keep quite a significant left aileron force to keep it level. Landed without an incident and the controls became free and symmetric. On outside inspection nothing irregular was noted. No control surface problems, no cowl flap issues, etc.

Talking to my avionics shop they are suggesting that this is a roll servo failure. If it is, how is it that once the breakers were pulled there was still a significant left aileron force required to keep the airplane upright? Could something have been jammed?

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Emil

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back