• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

uAvionix (Aerovonics) AV-30 Certified - $1,995

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the AV-30 FAQs at AV-30 - uAvionix :
  • does not support a magnetometer
  • no autopilot compatibility now; in the future, it will work only with their customer converters
  • the first converter planned is the AP-mini, for S-TEC autopilots only (e.g. in DG mode)
  • at some unspecified time after that, they plan to release the AP-10 initially for Century autopilots, which will also include ARINC 420 support for CDI and GS from nav radios

You'll need an IA to sign the FAA 337 and a static system leak check if you want to fly IFR.
I agree except for the part "if you want to fly IFR". Just change that to "if you want to fly". I wouldn't risk cracking open pitot and static lines and putting in a T in it without checking for leaks. Airspeed doesn't like when tubes leak.

I did mine, but it was supervised, just before annual and I had my pitot-static check done immediately after.

Question for those in the know. If one choses to replace their DG with the AV-30 will it communicate with a Garmin GAD29b in order to drive my Autocontrol III (Century II) autopilot?

Apparently not, but their soon to come adapter WILL work with your Century... It will function as an analogue AND an ARINC 429 interface..

Cap

Which means you will see in in 2024. This thing was supposed to be certified in 2019.

I had a long phone conversation with them today. They expect it will be ready early 2021. But cautioned that the STC approval process is not working well (or at all in some cases) due to Covid.

I sensed they have their plan and it is working, but the approval time line is complete wild card now.. :(

Cap

I have both of those available. Also, the AV-30 doesn't have a magnetometer built in so I still need for a GMU11 magnetometer mounted in the wing assuming the GAD29b will work?
[/QUOTE]

They hope to have a magnetometer option later in 2021.

The hardware already has the extra serial port for it built in now..

TWO threads discussing this..

From my post on the other..

--------------------------------------------------------

Had a LOOOONG chat this PM with Shane at UAvionics…

The AV 30 is a robust instrument internally with several unprogrammed data interfaces and pinouts to used for future expansion.... ..

- Has a TFT screen… :) :) :)
- AP integration with an adaptor 1st Q 2021 (legacy and ARINC 429 GPSS pass through)
- Software upgrade via serial or WiFi 2nd Q 2021
- Magnetometer support 2021
- IFR approved indicator in 2021
- WiFi support for tablet navigation software integration 2021
- Functions as an interface/controller for the TailBeacon X (Approval expected soon from TC) (Canadians listen up here!)
- Can use the WAAS GPS in the TailBeacon as a backup GPS source.

This thing has potential.. :)

He considers FAA STC approvals to be the major hurdles going forward... :(

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Latest posts

Back