• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

uAvionix (Aerovonics) AV-30 Certified - $1,995

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read a lot of fake news, while facts go unreported. People know that vacuum systems fail. So why bother complaining about it? In the past 10 years I've had 4 vacuum instrument failures and two vacuum pumps failure.

Let's break that down into facts, shall we?
Pump life expectancy: 5 years max. (rated for 500 hours so this is accurate).
Gyro life expectancy before overhaul: about 3 - 4 years. If they don't fail completely.

And next you are going to tell me that my iPad is more reliable. Sure. When it doesn't shut down ForeFlight unexpectedly, lock up due to overheating, or fall off its mount. All three have happened to me in IFR.

So, more or less reliable? I'd take my chances on a uAvionics over the alternative of doing nothing. If you don't like this answer, by a Garmin.
I may be jinxing myself, but our vacuum pump has been installed for 20 yrs and about 800 hours. Had one gyro rebuilt in that same time frame and that was the electric turn coordinator. Lucky I guess. (We have an electric standby attitude indicator redundancy for those infrequent IFR flights. )

HAW!..

And he has seen/installed/used how many ? Especially since they are not available yet!?

I would treat this guys opinions now and in the future with a grain of salt.....

Cap
Especially because an A&P can install the AV-30 with just a log book entry. It doesn't require an avionics shop.

I may be jinxing myself, but our vacuum pump has been installed for 20 yrs and about 800 hours. Had one gyro rebuilt in that same time frame and that was the electric turn coordinator. Lucky I guess. (We have an electric standby attitude indicator redundancy for those infrequent IFR flights. )

Same risk here probably.. :)

1 st. vacuum pump failed at 673 hours, 100 hrs after we got the plane...

Having learned much since, we replaced the next one at 550 hrs.

AI and DG have >1000 hrs, , quiet and working well...

Electric TC howls in the cold, but is solid...

Cap

The key is redundancy. Anything can fail.

Exactly. I had a completely new panel installed last year in my Commander - Aspen ProMax PFD, Garmin GTN 750, GTX 345, GNC 255, and GMA 350C, I kept my old vacuum AI as a backup. With two vacuum pumps I figured what could be a better backup to the ProMax than a vacuum AI

WOOT WOOT! I just got my email saying they are ready for purchase! My AI just failed 2 weeks ago, and unfortunately I bought an RC Allen Electric one that came in yesterday. Good thing was it is yellow tagged and was not too expensive. For now I think I will keep it and put in a AV30C as my DG/DI as it creeps a lot. Good Bye Vacuum! NOw if they will only get the tailbeacon X certified I can get ADSB too.

According to the product page for the certified version they are finishing up the interface for autopilot however it's not quite ready.

Question for those in the know. If one choses to replace their DG with the AV-30 will it communicate with a Garmin GAD29b in order to drive my Autocontrol III (Century II) autopilot?

Latest posts

Back