• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

turnbuckle AD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EDC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just completed the turnbuckle AD on my 235. I have noted that several mechanics prefer safety wire over the clips because, in the event of a turnbuckle failure, they surmise that the wire will keep "system" continuity. But will it? The specs call for 40 lbs +/- 5 lbs. So I tried to goggle the tensile strength of .041 SS wire without success. (I am sure it is there somewhere but I could not find it.)

So I suspended two 20 lbs weights from a length of .041 SS safety wire. The wire held the weight. Next I lifted the weights about two inches and released them. The safety wire held.

Bottom line, no more clips for me.

DC

Latest posts

Back